RECENTLY ON TWITTER
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX 'Protest tourism': How Hong Kong demonstrations are affecting travel -- http://t.co/KmxfLDxLdE 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @seattledot: Expecting very heavy impacts from the W Seattle bridge stall - backups extending past 35th Ave SW. Use alt routes http://t.… 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Walmart says Tracy Morgan should have worn a seat belt (PHOTOS) -- http://t.co/KsTyMJJIyG 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @Q13Tim: #Q13FOX WEATHER: The second half of September has really made up for how dry we were the first half of the month.... http://t.c… 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX NFL player penalized after Muslim prayer -- http://t.co/GPIgBTmFlp 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Hong Kong's leader to protesters: China won't back down>>> http://t.co/KC5TDKzrBe http://t.co/1ebeXkM6MV 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Seattle police are investigating two separate stabbings this morning; one in Ballard and one downtown -- http://t.co/ziPU0UPzM8 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @kellymoconnell: HEADS UP FOR PARENTS: Sylvester Middle School will be closed today because of a power outage in the area. #Q13FOX 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @BillWixey: Customers already lining up for today's opening of #Seattle's 2nd legal pot store: http://t.co/yQ7eL4ZWe4 #Q13FOX @Apachetea… 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Highline PS: Sylvester Middle School will be closed today due to a power outage in the area. #Q13FOX 4 weeks ago
(CNN) — The Idaho man who slapped a crying 19-month-old boy on a Delta flight in February was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison, the man’s lawyer said.
Joe Rickey Hundley pleaded guilty to assault in federal court in October.
Hundley’s attorney, Marcia Shein, said Hundley will report to a yet-to-be determined prison but didn’t say what the date would be.
She said she respects the judge’s ruling but called the sentence “disproportionate” to the crime and added that it was two months longer than what prosecutors had recommended.
In February, Hundley was seated next to Jessica Bennett and her 19-month-old son in row 28 when Delta flight 721 from Minneapolis began its descent into Atlanta.
When the baby began to cry, Hundley allegedly told Bennett to “shut that (N-word) baby up,” according to an FBI affidavit.
“(He) then turned around and slapped (the child) in the face with an open hand, which caused (him) to scream even louder,” the affidavit continued. The boy suffered a scratch below his right eye.
Shein said in a February statement that her client was in distress and grieving during the flight after learning the day before that his son was in a coma after overdosing on insulin.
Hundley was headed to Atlanta to decide whether or not to take his son — who died the day after the flight — off life support.
Shein said Hundley “had paid a terrible price for his hurtful words but asks only that people understand that he was not doing well that night and spoke hurtful words he would have not otherwise have said.”