RECENTLY ON TWITTER
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @SkywayFire: Firefighters from Skyway and Renton work to extinguish a second fire at a home in 24 hrs. #kcso to investigate cause. http:… 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @AP: Device, possibly aerial drone, found on White House grounds while president traveling in India: http://t.co/RLh59QmkLA 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Skyway Fire (KCFD20) @SkywayFire · Fire units back on scene of a house fire from Sunday in the 7000 blk of 120th place. #Q13Fox 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX While the East Coast braces for a blizzard, @Tim Joyce says that we may break another high temperature record here in Puget Sound. #Q13FOX 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Live reports from @Kaci Aitchison and Ian Furness in Arizona - coming up on Q13FOX News This Morning. The Road to Repeat. #Q13FOX 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wsdot_passes: Stevens: Overcast skies - Roadway is bare with frost & ice in places http://t.co/y8dxwpKqyB 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wsdot_passes: Snoqualmie: Clear skies with gusty winds west of the summit - Roadway is bare & dry wet in places. On Monday Jan. 26 htt… 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @seattledot: SB Battery Street Tunnel had been closed due to an earlier collision, but has just reopened to traffic. 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @cnnbrk: More than 3,000 flights have been canceled ahead of massive Northeast winter storm. http://t.co/k0kaYYzDtg #blizzardof2015 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @AP: Spokesman says Secret Service recovers 'device' on White House grounds; no immediate threat: http://t.co/9feQfSbstU 4 days ago
Members of the Teamsters Local 174, the union representing school bus drivers in Seattle, said contract negotiations with their employer, First Students, broke off recently. The teamster’s said First Student’s latest contract proposal was “absurd,” and would effectively “dump” the cost of employee healthcare on taxpayers through the Affordable Care act. The two sides could not come to an agreement on wages and retirement benefits either, the Teamsters said Tuesday in a release.
“First Student has taken positions on issues at the bargaining table that are absurd,” Local 174 Secretary-Treasurer Rick Hicks said.
Seattle Public Schools pays First Student about $ 27 million a year in transportation services, KPLU.org reported. Since drivers are not employed directly by the district, school officials have little say in the negotiations.
According to KPLU, Seattle School bus drivers earn between $ 13 and $ 21 an hour currently. The school district pays First Student $ 27 million a year in transportation services.
The drivers voted to unionize six months ago, KPLU reports, and so far First Students and the Teamsters Union have failed to come up with any sort of workable contract. Issues like wage, healthcare and retirement benefits are all on the table, officials from both sides said.
The Teamsters are working with Seattle Public Schools to ensure that parents know about a possible strike, and prepare transportation for their student. Some 7,000 Seattle Public Schools students would not be affected by the strike, officials said, because their transportation is provided with Metro bus passes.