RECENTLY ON TWITTER
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @FernandoQ13Fox: People playing games and camping out waiting for the #Linnwood Chick-fil-A's grand opening #Q13FOX http://t.co/BRkUOmQe… 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Dozens of kids at elementary school in Buckley come down with flu-like illness http://t.co/Q0E7TYTnCK http://t.co/GSLdUey725 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @AP: The Latest on severe weather: At least 12 injuries reported in Oklahoma City area http://t.co/iLvNQ9YIXP 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @ErinMayovsky: “@RealSaltLake: Another look at the lightning strike that caused the match delay #RSL https://t.co/9MSeJC31ql” #Q13Fox 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX News, scary street drug called flakka or '$5 insanity' on rise in U.S. http://t.co/k0TbPbpGZk http://t.co/Olem1nPIiC 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @Mariners: The Angels take the final game of the series, 4-3. The #Mariners return to Safeco Field on Friday vs. the Athletics at 7:10 p… 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX City of Renton offering $1,000 for info leading to arrest, conviction of copper thieves http://t.co/IBmlblt2na http://t.co/HDY0nznNhw 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX WATCH LIVE: #Q13FOX News at 9, 10 & 11 http://t.co/smxn1czC7x @DavidRoseQ13FOX @marnihughesQ13 @ErinMayovsky @JamieQ13FOX @MattLorchQ13Fox 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Cable guy late? Comcast says it will credit customers $20 from now on if that happens http://t.co/sefRhmzzd9 http://t.co/6Nxz62jyFg 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX UPDATE: Exotic animals 'on the loose' after Tiger Safari hit by tornado have all been found >> http://t.co/4yrVswbvM2 3 weeks ago
Members of the Teamsters Local 174, the union representing school bus drivers in Seattle, said contract negotiations with their employer, First Students, broke off recently. The teamster’s said First Student’s latest contract proposal was “absurd,” and would effectively “dump” the cost of employee healthcare on taxpayers through the Affordable Care act. The two sides could not come to an agreement on wages and retirement benefits either, the Teamsters said Tuesday in a release.
“First Student has taken positions on issues at the bargaining table that are absurd,” Local 174 Secretary-Treasurer Rick Hicks said.
Seattle Public Schools pays First Student about $ 27 million a year in transportation services, KPLU.org reported. Since drivers are not employed directly by the district, school officials have little say in the negotiations.
According to KPLU, Seattle School bus drivers earn between $ 13 and $ 21 an hour currently. The school district pays First Student $ 27 million a year in transportation services.
The drivers voted to unionize six months ago, KPLU reports, and so far First Students and the Teamsters Union have failed to come up with any sort of workable contract. Issues like wage, healthcare and retirement benefits are all on the table, officials from both sides said.
The Teamsters are working with Seattle Public Schools to ensure that parents know about a possible strike, and prepare transportation for their student. Some 7,000 Seattle Public Schools students would not be affected by the strike, officials said, because their transportation is provided with Metro bus passes.