RECENTLY ON TWITTER
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX 'Protest tourism': How Hong Kong demonstrations are affecting travel -- http://t.co/KmxfLDxLdE 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @seattledot: Expecting very heavy impacts from the W Seattle bridge stall - backups extending past 35th Ave SW. Use alt routes http://t.… 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Walmart says Tracy Morgan should have worn a seat belt (PHOTOS) -- http://t.co/KsTyMJJIyG 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @Q13Tim: #Q13FOX WEATHER: The second half of September has really made up for how dry we were the first half of the month.... http://t.c… 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX NFL player penalized after Muslim prayer -- http://t.co/GPIgBTmFlp 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Hong Kong's leader to protesters: China won't back down>>> http://t.co/KC5TDKzrBe http://t.co/1ebeXkM6MV 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Seattle police are investigating two separate stabbings this morning; one in Ballard and one downtown -- http://t.co/ziPU0UPzM8 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @kellymoconnell: HEADS UP FOR PARENTS: Sylvester Middle School will be closed today because of a power outage in the area. #Q13FOX 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @BillWixey: Customers already lining up for today's opening of #Seattle's 2nd legal pot store: http://t.co/yQ7eL4ZWe4 #Q13FOX @Apachetea… 4 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Highline PS: Sylvester Middle School will be closed today due to a power outage in the area. #Q13FOX 4 weeks ago
Members of the Teamsters Local 174, the union representing school bus drivers in Seattle, said contract negotiations with their employer, First Students, broke off recently. The teamster’s said First Student’s latest contract proposal was “absurd,” and would effectively “dump” the cost of employee healthcare on taxpayers through the Affordable Care act. The two sides could not come to an agreement on wages and retirement benefits either, the Teamsters said Tuesday in a release.
“First Student has taken positions on issues at the bargaining table that are absurd,” Local 174 Secretary-Treasurer Rick Hicks said.
Seattle Public Schools pays First Student about $ 27 million a year in transportation services, KPLU.org reported. Since drivers are not employed directly by the district, school officials have little say in the negotiations.
According to KPLU, Seattle School bus drivers earn between $ 13 and $ 21 an hour currently. The school district pays First Student $ 27 million a year in transportation services.
The drivers voted to unionize six months ago, KPLU reports, and so far First Students and the Teamsters Union have failed to come up with any sort of workable contract. Issues like wage, healthcare and retirement benefits are all on the table, officials from both sides said.
The Teamsters are working with Seattle Public Schools to ensure that parents know about a possible strike, and prepare transportation for their student. Some 7,000 Seattle Public Schools students would not be affected by the strike, officials said, because their transportation is provided with Metro bus passes.