RECENTLY ON TWITTER
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wspd1pio: Update: We should be able to open a lane, maybe 2 very shortly. 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Sounders advance to Western Conference Finals after playing FC Dallas to a 0-0 draw here http://t.co/Nsu9MIiKcu http://t.co/GQ1fbORhwB 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wspd1pio: Update: Here's a picture from the collision scene SB I-5 at the T-Dome. Causing driver is DUI and is in custody! http://t.co/… 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wspd1pio: Update: An 86 year-old man is in custody for causing the crash. He is believed to be alcohol impaired & has been transported … 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Seattle grandma jumps on hood of her vehicle to try to stop carjacker; suspect later caught http://t.co/i3XYlZoh1g http://t.co/PpdnFBdNOh 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX BREAKING: One driver in custody for DUI in two-car collision that has closed southbound lanes on I-5 near Tacoma Dome http://t.co/ydU25ehmrG 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @tina_patel: A car prowl victim talks about the lessons she's learned, coming up on #Q13Fox at 11. 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wspd1pio: @Chicano98 All SB I-5 lanes near Tacoma Dome currently blocked 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Southbound I-5 near Tacoma Dome brought to standstill after two vehicle collision; more details to come http://t.co/aiSdqq3TTo 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @wspd1pio: We're investigating a 2 vehicle collision SB I-5 just south of Portland Ave. 2 lanes are blocked at the scene. More info wh… 2 weeks ago
Members of the Teamsters Local 174, the union representing school bus drivers in Seattle, said contract negotiations with their employer, First Students, broke off recently. The teamster’s said First Student’s latest contract proposal was “absurd,” and would effectively “dump” the cost of employee healthcare on taxpayers through the Affordable Care act. The two sides could not come to an agreement on wages and retirement benefits either, the Teamsters said Tuesday in a release.
“First Student has taken positions on issues at the bargaining table that are absurd,” Local 174 Secretary-Treasurer Rick Hicks said.
Seattle Public Schools pays First Student about $ 27 million a year in transportation services, KPLU.org reported. Since drivers are not employed directly by the district, school officials have little say in the negotiations.
According to KPLU, Seattle School bus drivers earn between $ 13 and $ 21 an hour currently. The school district pays First Student $ 27 million a year in transportation services.
The drivers voted to unionize six months ago, KPLU reports, and so far First Students and the Teamsters Union have failed to come up with any sort of workable contract. Issues like wage, healthcare and retirement benefits are all on the table, officials from both sides said.
The Teamsters are working with Seattle Public Schools to ensure that parents know about a possible strike, and prepare transportation for their student. Some 7,000 Seattle Public Schools students would not be affected by the strike, officials said, because their transportation is provided with Metro bus passes.