RECENTLY ON TWITTER
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX 'Protest tourism': How Hong Kong demonstrations are affecting travel -- http://t.co/KmxfLDxLdE 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @seattledot: Expecting very heavy impacts from the W Seattle bridge stall - backups extending past 35th Ave SW. Use alt routes http://t.… 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Walmart says Tracy Morgan should have worn a seat belt (PHOTOS) -- http://t.co/KsTyMJJIyG 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @Q13Tim: #Q13FOX WEATHER: The second half of September has really made up for how dry we were the first half of the month.... http://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX NFL player penalized after Muslim prayer -- http://t.co/GPIgBTmFlp 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Hong Kong's leader to protesters: China won't back down>>> http://t.co/KC5TDKzrBe http://t.co/1ebeXkM6MV 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Seattle police are investigating two separate stabbings this morning; one in Ballard and one downtown -- http://t.co/ziPU0UPzM8 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @kellymoconnell: HEADS UP FOR PARENTS: Sylvester Middle School will be closed today because of a power outage in the area. #Q13FOX 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX RT @BillWixey: Customers already lining up for today's opening of #Seattle's 2nd legal pot store: http://t.co/yQ7eL4ZWe4 #Q13FOX @Apachetea… 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #Q13FOX News @Q13FOX Highline PS: Sylvester Middle School will be closed today due to a power outage in the area. #Q13FOX 3 weeks ago
SAMMAMISH — Students aren’t giving up their fight for the ex-Vice Principal, Mark Zmuda, ho says he lost his job because he’s married to a man.
But there weren’t any protests because the administration was threatening to kick students off campus and call their parents if they missed any classes.
School employees removed protest signs that were hanging on the fence outside of the school.
The protests started just before Christmas when hundreds of students took to the streets. They were upset about the removal of Vice Principal and swim coach Mark Zmuda.
Zmuda worked at the private school for more than a year, but his employment ended when administrators found out he was married to a man.
In an interview with one of his students, Zmuda said school administrators told him that he could save his job by divorcing his husband – but that was something he wouldn’t do.
The kids who got a chance to speak one-on-one with Eastside Catholic’s CEO and president, Mary Tracy, said the conversation was respectful. They also said Tracy regrets how Zmuda’s termination was handled.
“We appreciate her feelings towards the matter,” said Senior Ian Edwards who attended Monday’s meeting. “It’s comforting to know it wasn’t an easy issue for her, but we’re still pushing for a change in this kind of attitude from the Catholic Church of discrimination in the work place.”
According to an email sent out to faculty, Eastside Catholic has already hired Zmuda’s replacement — it’s a man who has worked at the school in prior years.
Eastside Catholic students are planning another protest they call “Z” day on January 31st. That’s when supporters of Zmuda will all be wearing orange.
They’re hoping that message reaches the Catholic Church, hoping it convinces the right people to change the church’s stance on same-sex marriage.